South African Medical Expeditions began in 2004 with volunteers who travelled to South Africa to provide medical services to children orphaned by HIV/AIDS, finding that the children were also infected with HIV. They provide daily love, food, medical care and HIV testing and other medical treatment to orphans and vulnerable children.
Love, food, medical care and HIV testing for vulnerable children
SAME’s focus is primarily on impoverished and/or HIV/AIDS infected children. SAME’s target areas are the impoverished rural primary schools and communities of Timbavati and Sigagula, east of Acornhoek, in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa.
SAME’s strategy is simple. They network in communities to identify the caregiver that loves these little ones and who is taking care of them – maybe an older sibling, grandmother or neighbour. They provide assistance and education to caregivers so that they can better care for the little ones.
SAME has established and maintains a passionate, caring, competent, and trusted organization that effectively cares for orphans and other vulnerable children in their communities and which provides opportunities for others to effectively help.
SAME identifies needs, identifies existing local people and organizations that are meeting needs, establishes local relationships and helps the local South African people do it better.
- Over 2100 meals per month to Orphans and Vulnerable Children.
- Monthly food parcels to 33 OVC homes containing nearly 100 children.
- Monthly fees, transportation, and day care support to nine toddlers.
- Assistance to two day care centers serving up to 140 pre-school children.
- Free weekly pediatric medical clinics serving nearly 800 patients.
- Daily school vitamins to schools and creches totaling over 1000 children.
- Parasite treatment to over 1000 children every six months.
- Weekly TB/HIV treatment and support clinics to HIV+ patients.
- Community center with supplementary after school education, food, activities, and support of Orphans and Vulnerable Children.
- Private high school education tuition, transportation and other expenses for two Orphan and Vulnerable Children students who have been supported and nurtured by SAME for over seven years each.
- Daily food, clothing, blankets, and supplies for over 100 Orphan and Vulnerable Children homes containing nearly 200 children.
- Ongoing training for Health Care Workers and Home Based Caregivers within the communities.
- HIV testing, HIV/Aids prevention, counseling, and treatment for all the children in our care.
- Free weekly transportation to government run HIV clinics.
- Transportation and hospital fees for desperately ill people.
- Maintenance and restoration of homes where orphans live, including building kitchens and fences for safety.
- Two growing community gardens providing vegetables to Orphan and Vulnerable Children homes.
- Support from visiting USA volunteers to Orphan and Vulnerable Children homes and projects.
- Providing and installing malaria nets and malaria education in all Orphan and Vulnerable Children homes served by SAME.
The Expedition Project is a social enterprise! Please use the enquiry form below – by doing so you are supporting both this project and projects nearby at no extra cost. You will also get access to similar projects, accommodation discounts and special offers.
View this post on Instagram
SEEING THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYE'S OF A CHILD REMINDS US THAT EXTRAORDINARY MIRACLE'S ARE FOUND IN THE MOST ORDINARY PLACES; AND THAT TRUE TREASURES ARE PRICELESS, NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE COSTLY BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE FREE. . . #hopeforeachnewday #hope #prayforsouthafrica #same #joy #ovcsupport