Whalesong Lodge guesthouse in De Kelders was purpose built in 2003 to provide accommodation in a relaxed environment and to share the abundance this coastline has to offer.
newest wine region of South Africa
An intimate guest house on top of the rugged Cliffs of De Kelders offers you whale watching from the comfort of your bed! Stanley & Lainy Carpenter welcome you to their guesthouse Whale Song Lodge overlooking the picturesque Walker Bay with views of the coastline stretching from the white sand dunes of “Die Plaat“ past Hermanus all the way to Cape Point.
Find seafront accommodation on South Africa´s whale coast which offers excellent land-based whale watching, shark cage diving, diverse fynbos, rugged coastal cliffs and deserted beaches; situated only 2 hr from Cape Town just before the fishing village of Gansbaai famous for its Great White Sharks.
De Kelders is north facing (remember, this is the sunny side in the southern hemisphere) and one of the few places on the Whale Coast of South Africa where you are able to enjoy sundowners while watching the sunset over the Atlantic ocean.
But the biggest reason is (and believe us these southern right whales are big!) there is no place in South Africa where you are able to watch the whales up-close from the shore as you do from the De Kelders cliffs and the accommodation at Whale Song Lodge is on those cliffs only 70m from the sea, you can’t get closer unless you go for a swim!
- cage-diving with the great white shark, boat-based whale watching, guided fynbos hikes, and horse riding on secluded beaches.
- 1 ½ hrs drive from Agulhas – do a scenic day trip along the fynbos road through Elim to the southern tip of Africa
- a sunset every day like our ancestors, that first lived here 80 000yrs ago
- mix & Match platter, consisting of a variety of cheeses, meats, salad, preserves, vegies and a bread selection, which is chosen by the guest
- secluded bays at our doorstep for save swimming
The Expedition Project is a social enterprise! Please use the enquiry form below – by doing so you are supporting both this partner and nearby community and conservation projects at no extra cost. You will also get access to similar projects, accommodation discounts and special offers.
If you end up booking or planning a visit directly with the destination, let us know so we can activate future discounts/shop coupons for you!
Direct links: Website | Facebook | Instagram