Experience solitude, escape, expanse, beauty and endless nature tucked away in the Western Kalahari.
Tucked away in the Western Kalahari in South Africa, lies a truly unique part of God’s creation. This barren and dry land is home to the only camel dairy in South Africa and serves as the inspiration of Afriqueen, our camel milk skincare range.
Farmed by the third generation of the Knoesen Family, it is also home to a Meat Master sheep herd. Birders appreciate the Verreaux’s eagles and 140 other bird species. The unusual natural scenery includes a vast clay pan as well as natural skyskrapers and rock formations. Various hiking trails are available.
Be sure to include a stay at Koppieskraal Kameelplaas as part of your next trip to the Kgalagadi National Park.
Wild camping in the Kalahari
Farini’s Lost City
7 Reasons to unplug and camp in the Lost City
- Experience incredible off-grid camping between mysterious black boulders
- The wind, rocks & curious dassies will be your only companions
- Watch the sunset more than 20kms away while sipping on a glass of wine
- Listen to the early morning call of the dassies
- Hear the barking gecko at night
- Go for endless walks amongst the stone formations
- Expect a visit from our friendly sheep or camels
7 reasons to camp on Koppieskraal Pan
- You are tired of cramped & crowded campsites
- Camp on a 10000-ha dry salt pan surrounded by nothing at all
- No walls, no vegetation, no neighbours!
- See the sunrise many kilometres away
- Experience absolute silence – no sounds other than your own
- Walk for kilometres in any direction and stay within viewing distance of your tent
- Play soccer in the moonlight
4 Reasons to join us on a Camel Tour
- Meet our beautiful camel mamas up close
- Taste the milk, camel meat savouries and a sweet dessert made from camel milk
- Visit the Afriqueen shop – the original Camel Milk Skincare range in South Africa!
- Learn all about the 120-year history of the camels in the district
The Expedition Project is a social enterprise! Please use the enquiry form below – by doing so you are supporting both this partner and nearby community and conservation projects at no extra cost. You will also get access to similar projects, accommodation discounts and special offers.
View this post on Instagram