Week 31…Oyster Bay to Albertinia
6 August 2012
We managed to escape Oyster Bay and the muddy roads without too much trouble and due to the rain were forced to re-route to Tsitsikamma instead of in the Langkloof direction. Fortunately, Tsitsikamma Lodge looked after us on short notice for the night.
7 August 2012
Our arrival in Plettenberg Bay could not have been met with more support. ShowMe Plett organised a lunch at Off The Hook with the ShowMe Plett head office and the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Plettenberg Bay. After that, ShowMe Plett took us to Kranshoek to visit some local community projects. Back to Off The Hook for dinner and then the day was rounded off with one of our top overnight stays of 2012 – Aquavit Guest House.
8 August 2012
Part 2 of our ShowMe Garden Route welcome continued with ShowMe Plett filling up our petrol tank and seeing us off in the direction of ShowMe Knysna. We met with several role players in Sedgefield and got some great ideas and support. Our first backpackers of the trip saw us spending a night at Afrovibe Lodge and Backpackers. Adjoining PiliPili Beach Bar served us a delicious pizza while we discussed The BEACH Festival 2012 at Myoli Beach.
9 August 2012
We really have had some magnificent drives this week and today’s one from Sedgefield took us through Wilderness, George, over the Outinequa Mountains passed Oudtshoorn and to De Rust. The small town of De Rust was overflowing with charm and thanks to Oliver’s Rest and Herrie Se Plek we got some great local hospitality.
10 August 2012
The last of the two-day sunshine gave us a beautiful drive from De Rust passed Oudtshoorn on Route 62 to Calitzdorp. We met with the original family on which the town was named and had the most amazing dinner at The Red Coffee Pot. Welgevonden B&B looked after us in confort for the night.
11 August 2012
We arrived at a rain-soaked Ladismith from Calitzdorp and were left with little choice but to catch up on admin while the rain fell. Albert Manor Guest House looked after us and Andri’s Restaurant fed us in true small-town style.
12 August 2012
From Ladismith we took the roundabout drive to Riversdale and then back-tracked slightly to Albertinia for the night. Local conservation project at Garden Route Game Lodge in the afternoon and Albertinia Hotel for the night.
…of the week:
- Towns visited this week – Tsitsikamma, Plettenberg Bay, Knysna, Sedgefield, George, De Rust, Oudtshoorn, Calitzdorp, Ladismith, Albertinia
- Accommodation sponsored this week – Tsitsikamma Lodge, Aquavit Guest House, Afrovibe Backpackers, Oliver’s Rest, Welgevonden B&B, Albert Manor Guest House, Albertinia Hotel
- Food sponsored this week – Tsitiskamma Lodge, Off The Hook, PiliPili Beach Bar, Herrie Se Plek, The Red Coffee Pot, Andri’s Restaurant
- Highlight of the week – Plettenberg Bay reception thanks to ShowMe Plett
- Lowlight of the week – Rain
- Accommodation of the week – Aquavit Guest House
- Meal of the week – The Red Coffee Pot
See you in a week…