There might be more famous South Africans than you think. 4 and 10 may be a big surprise!
Here are 12 of the most famous South Africans:
- Nelson Mandela – Anti-apartheid revolutionary and former President of South Africa.
- Desmond Tutu – Archbishop and social rights activist.
- Charlize Theron – Academy Award-winning actress and UN Messenger of Peace.
- Elon Musk – Entrepreneur and CEO of SpaceX, Tesla and X(Twitter).
- Trevor Noah – Comedian and former host of “The Daily Show.”
- Miriam Makeba – Internationally acclaimed singer and civil rights activist.
- F.W. de Klerk – Former President and a key figure in ending apartheid.
- Steve Biko – Anti-apartheid activist and leader of the Black Consciousness Movement.
- Caster Semenya – Olympic champion and middle-distance runner.
- J.R.R. Tolkien – Renowned author of “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit.”
- Gary Player – World famous golfer known as the ‘Black Knight’.
- Dave Matthews – Musician famous for the Dave Matthews Band.
Images from: commons.wikimedia.org
Please note that the fame and recognition of individuals can change over time, and there might have been developments or new figures that have gained prominence since then.