- What a relief to get to the coast and some warm weather. Upon first sight of the ocean, Lettie broke out in a sing-song, “I can see, I can see, I can see the sea!” Not only did the seaside setting put us in better spirits, but the team at Friends of Chintsa had generously organised an entire itinerary of projects for us to visit.
- We departed Colesberg and drove and drove. And then we drove some more. As we started to wonder if were on the right road at all, a small cluster of buildings emerged on the Karoo horizon. Little did we know what incredibly big things were happening in that small cluster…
- One of the most unique examples of community collaboration that we have come across so far was found in the heart of the Robertson Wine Valley.
- We arrive in some towns with few, if any, contacts and no preconceived ideas with the hope that we’ll come across an unexpected project gem. Often this means discovering something in its teething stages, whereas other times people are struggling to figure out how to get started. And then there are also those who have given up before they even get going.
- True to its slogan, “Skills for Life”, The Breede Centrestrives to empower unemployed people in the local area with entrepreneurial skills.
- This is surely the best retirement home a donkey could ever wish for! The Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary on the outskirts of McGregor is currently home to 19 of these gentle creatures, each with a different story.
We didn’t drive very far – in fact, only from one part of the small town of Bonnievale to another – but were surprised to discover yet a whole new team of passionate local people working to improve the future for youth at Bonnie People. Read More
When we walked into the Valleys and Mountains Development Foundation, the first thing that we was the degree of focus of the +/- 20 youth busy with their paper-maché creations. They were all incredibly immersed in their work – a buzz of teens sculpting out of recycled drink containers, cardboard boxes, and anything else they can get their hands on! Read More
The sombre mood of this cold and rainy morning was quickly broken by our visit to the Village of Hope located on the edge of the town of Grabouw. Its dedicated and dynamic team has provided for the rehabilitation of children infected, and affected, by HIV and AIDS since it was founded in 2009. Read More
What better place to start an EXPEDITION than in one of South Africa’s top tourist destinations? We skipped the wine tasting rooms and went straight to The Pebbles Project in the heart of the Cape Winelands. Read More
With over six months having passed since The EXPEDITION Project left on their maiden and foundation year journey of exploration, re-discovery, inspiration and research, we asked them several of the most popular questions as submitted by their followers: Read More