Week 29…Kenton on Sea to Jeffreys Bay
23 July 2012
Kenton on Sea to Grahamstown and after a driving tour of the student town, the settlers’ monument, Rhodes University, I settled in at A Stone’s Throw B&B on the outskirts of town for the night. A homemade dinner with B&B owner Suzanne and her family and a chat about Grahamstown took up the evening.
24 July 2012
A full day in Grahamstown visiting several projects in town and on the outside of town including HCDP Trust and Egazini Outreach Project. I also made contact with Rhodes University for future collaboration. Accommodation at the lovely Bartholomew’s Loft and a delicious dinner prepared by owner Justine. Maddy returned from her trip to Mozambique with Nourish NPO.
25 July 2012
Grahamstown to Amakhala Reserve and a great day of visiting several projects run by the Amakhala Foundation. Jennifer showed us around Paterson and told us about the past, present and future of the reserve and the foundation. Accommodation at Woodbury Lodge.
26 July 2012
A morning game drive with Woodbury Lodge on the Amakhala Reserve and a fantastic sighting of a giraffe giving birth. We then drove from Amakhala Reserve to Colchester and our accommodation at Addo Gateway Lodge with Maggie and Les from the lodge took us on an educational riverboat cruise on the Sundays River.
27 July 2012
The morning was spent travelling some 70km around Addo Elephant National Park before passing through the town of Addo, Motherwell and Uitenhage. Accommodation at The Hexagon on the outskirts of Uitenhage.
28 July 2012
Our sponsored accommodation for JBay could not have been better – Supertubes Collection provided us with a room overlooking Supertubes itself in the Supertubes Guest House property. This spot was not only ideally located for what Jbay is famous for surfing, but walking distance from all the town’s amenities. Saturday rained all day and also the timing of us here on the weekend meant the possibility of visiting a few projects in the area was limited.
29 July 2012
A tour of the area and surroundings and an attempt at a relaxing Sunday for a change. The location could not have been better as we filmed and interviewed a few surfers. Another attempt to try and get hold of the Thyspunt Alliance for an interview.
…of the week:
- Towns visited this week – Grahamstown, Amakhala Reserve, Paterson, Colchester, Addo Elephant Park, Addo, Uitenhage, Jeffreys Bay
- Accommodation sponsored this week – A Stone’s Throw, Bartholomew’s Loft, Woodbury Lodge, Addo Gateway Lodge, The Hexagon, Supertubes Collection
- Food sponsored this week – A Stone’s Throw, Bartholomew’s Loft, Woodbury Lodge
- Highlight of the week – Grahamstown and Peterson project identification
- Lowlight of the week – Lack of elephant sighting in Addo Elephant Park
- Accommodation of the week – A week of excellent accommodation – hard to decide
- Meal of the week – Bartholomew’s Loft dinner and breakfast
See you in a week…