Week 27…Umngazi to East London
9 July 2012
We had booked a longer stay at Umngazi River Bungalows initially for a few reasons – this was supposed to be our halfway point but this was moved forward to Durban, and secondly, we had heard so much about it. We decided to focus on the area and how tourism had affected it, how influential and responsible tourism is on holiday-makers when choosing their time off.
10 July 2012
A few surveys and interviews of locals, workers and holiday-makers while at Umngazi.
11 July 2012
The next stop was Port St Johns and a link-up with Soloman Bam – manager at the Port St Johns Youth Center. Accommodation for the night at Kingfisher Cottages.
12 July 2012
After the more relaxed feel of Mbotyi, Umngazi and Port St Johns it was time to join the madness of the former Transkei region. Mthatha proved educational and more eye-opening than expected. We then moved on to iDutywa, Butterworth and settled in Komga for the night. Accommodation at Red Valley B&B.
13 July 2012
From Komga we moved onto East London. Admin day to catch up with a week of no internet signal. Accommodation at Quarry Lake Inn and dinner at Grazia Fine Food.
14 July 2012
A rainy day restricted us to admin and sad farewell to Maddy for her Mozambique recon trip with Sarah from Nourish. Accommodation at Grazia Fine Food.
15 July 2012
Today we met with Velile, a local Xhosa tour guide and expert on the area. Accommodation at Quarry Lake Inn
…of the week:
- Towns visited this week – Umngazi; Port St Johns; Mthatha; iDutywa; Butterworth; Komga; East London
- Accommodation sponsored this week – Umngazi River Bungalows; Kingfisher Cottages; Red Valley B&B; Quarry Lake Inn
- Food sponsored this week – Umngazi River Bungalows; Grazia Fine Food
- Highlight of the week – Reaching East London after a hair-raising Transkei drive
- Lowlight of the week – the drive between Port St Johns and Komga – treacherous stuff!
- Accommodation of the week – Quarry Lake Inn
- Meal of the week – Grazia Fine Food
See you in a week…