Week 27…Margate to Umngazi
2 July 2012
We met with a few local ‘influencials’ at The Waffle House in Ramsgate to discuss the state of the town and the potential of The BEACH Festival on one of the beautiful beaches each summer. Accommodation at Bellevue Guest House for the night.
3 July 2012
Today we met with CORE (Centre for Organic Recycling and Environment) and a local Enviro Edu Project. Onto Port Edward. At 4 pm we were interviewed on 5fm’s Mind Your Own Business. Accommodation tonight at the Aloe Inn.
4 July 2012
We made a visit to Crags Wild Care and met Craig, a passionate individual fighting against unnecessary animal hunting and traps in the region.
5 July 2012
From Port Edward, we crossed over the KZN/Eastern Cape border and hit rural South Africa again. The changing landscape with huts dotted all over the hills eventually took us to Bizana for the night. We met with several municipal employees to discuss the projects currently being implemented in town. Sadly they weren’t too positive about the state of the area. Accommodation at Makwande B&B.
6 July 2012
Onto Lusikisiki and an overload for the senses. We were troubled to witness over 30 dead dogs on the drive from Bizana to Lusikisiki. Accommodation at Sips B&B.
7 July 2012
Our weekend began by arriving at the picturesque community of Mbotyi on the Mbotyi River. Accommodation at Mbotyi River Lodge is run by Peter and Tuffy Kirsten.
8 July 2012
Before leaving Mbotyi for Umngazi we undertook a 3-hour hike through the community and along an amazing example of a Wild Coast beach – our first Wild Coast experience. We almost didn’t make it back. Accommodation for the night at Umngazi River Bungalows
…of the week:
- Towns visited this week – Margate; Ramsgate; Port Edward; Bizana; Flagstaff; Lusikisiki; Mboyti; Umngazi (Port St Johns)
- Accommodation sponsored this week – Bellevue Guest House; Aloe Inn; Makwande B&B; Sips B&B; Mbotyi River Lodge; Umngazi River Bungalows
- Food sponsored this week – The Waffle House; The Webb; Makwande B&B; Mbotyi River Lodge; Umngazi River Bungalows
- Highlight of the week – 5fm interview; Mbotyi hike; meeting Peter Kirsten and the chaos of Bizana – Lusikisiki
- Lowlight of the week – the drive between Bizana and Lusikisiki involving 30 dead dogs on the side of the road
- Accommodation of the week – Mbotyi River Lodge
- Meal of the week – The Webb, Port Edward
See you in a week…